Privacy and Security Policies
Information We Collect
- EFS may collect personal information. Personal information will be collected, to the extent possible, directly from the individual concerned. Personal information is information that identifies an individual or is directly associated with a specific person or entity such as a customer's name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, or information about activities which can be directly linked to that person, such as his or her purchases.
EFS may also collect aggregated data, which is data from which the identity of an individual cannot be determined. Our definition of personal information does not include aggregated data. Aggregated data is data we collect about a group or category of products, services or customers, from which individual customer identities have been removed. In other words, information about how you use a service may be collected and combined with information about how others use the same service, but no personal information will be included in the resulting data. Likewise, information about the products you purchase may be collected and combined with information about the products purchased by others. Aggregate data helps us understand trends and customer needs so that we can better consider new products and services, and tailor existing products and services to customer desires. Since it is not personal information, EFS may use aggregated data in any way that it considers appropriate.
How We Collect Personal Information
- We collect the personal information that you provide us, such as when you complete a "contact us" form on our Contact Us page or when you complete an "apply online" form on our Apply Online page.
How We Use Personal Information
- The personal information we collect is generally used to process your requests or transactions, provide you with high-quality service, tell you about opportunities we think will be of interest, and understand your needs so that we can serve you better. EFS may use personal information provided verbally or in writing (including via electronic media) by customers in order to communicate with you about your interest in EFS's products (Elderlife Line of Credit, efs:Locator and efs:Planning), respond to your "contact us" inquiry or to meet any applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
Sharing Personal Information - We do not sell, rent, share or disclose personal information to third parties without your prior consent, except in the limited circumstances described herein. Our website may share information with companies that provide support services to us or that help us market our products and services. These companies may need information about you in order to perform their functions. These companies are not authorized to use the information we share with them for any other purpose.
We may disclose specific information upon governmental request, in response to a court order, when required by law, to enforce our corporate policies, or to protect our or others' rights, property, or safety. We do not provide information to these agencies or companies for marketing or commercial purposes.
In the event of a sale of some or all of our business, EFS may disclose personal information to those involved in a transfer of all or part of the assets or business.
We may seek consent to use and share personal information after it has been collected in those cases where EFS wishes to use the information for a purpose not previously identified or for which the individual concerned has not previously provided consent.
In most cases, and subject to legal and contractual restrictions, an individual is free to refuse or withdraw his or her consent at any time upon reasonable, advance notice. It should be noted that in some circumstances, certain EFS products and services can only be offered if a person provides personal information to EFS. If you choose not provide us with any required personal information, we may not be able to offer the products or services requested. We will inform you of the consequences of the withdrawal of consent.
Changing Promotional Communications Preferences
- We may use your e-mail address and other contact information provided to us through the Site to send you promotional materials from us and, if you've opted in, from third parties. If you do not want to receive such promotional information, you can change your communication preferences and remove yourself from our e-mail list at any time.
Please also note that even if you opt out of receiving promotional emails from us, we may still use your information to communicate with you for other purposes, such as orders/purchases and customer service responses.
Updating, Reviewing or Correcting Online Personal Information
- You may update, review or correct any personal information provided you have provided to EFS contact us or call us at (888) 228-4500.
Why We Collect Web Site Use Information
- During your visit to our Site, we will collect certain web site use information for a number of purposes, namely to:
- Make your access more convenient and efficient;
- Establish Site activity trends;
- Monitor Site performance; and
- Improve Site design and functionality.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookie settings. If you turn cookies off, you may not have access to many features that make your site experience more efficient and some of our services will not function properly.
We also use pixel tags - tiny graphic images - to help us analyze your online behavior, but we do not tie that behavior to any personal information.
- EFS strives to maintain appropriate contractual, physical, procedural and technical security with respect to its offices and information storage facilities so as to prevent any loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, or modification of personal information. This also applies to our disposal or destruction of personal information.
We encrypt the pipe through which personal information, such as credit card numbers, is sent, using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology to ensure that your information is safe as it is sent over the Internet to our server.
Information From Children
- EFS.com is a general audience site that is not designed nor intended to collect personal information from children under the age of 13. EFS does not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13, and does not use such information if it discovers that it is has been provided. To respect the privacy of children and to comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, children under the age of 13 should not provide any personal information on this Site. We ask that parents supervise their children while online.
Privacy Statement Changes
- If we decide to change our privacy statement, we will post a new statement on our Site and change the date at the top of the statement. Therefore, we encourage you to check the date of our privacy statement whenever you visit this Site for any updates or changes. If you have provided personal information to us, we will email you any changes to the privacy statement that might affect the way we use your personal information.
Questions and Feedback
- We welcome your questions, comments, and concerns about privacy. Please send us any and all feedback pertaining to privacy, or any other issue.
In the event of questions about:
i. access to your personal information;
ii. our collection, use, management or disclosure of personal information; or
You may also reach Customer Relations by calling:
ElderLife Financial Services, LLC
7529 Standish Place, Suite 300
Rockville, MD 20855
Terms and Conditions
- Please also visit our Terms and Conditions
section that explains other terms governing the use of this Site.
We value our partnership with you, and are committed to protecting the security and privacy of your personal information.
What We Do
EFS strives to maintain appropriate physical, procedural and technical security with respect to its offices and information storage facilities so as to prevent any loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, or modification of personal information. This also applies to our disposal or destruction of personal information. We employ industry-proven standards and technologies to protect information in our environment:
- We protect our systems and networks from the Internet with Firewall systems.
- We employ Intrusion Detection software, and monitor for unauthorized access.
- We maintain and selectively review activity logs, to prevent unauthorized activities from occurring within our computing environment.
- We use encryption technology to protect certain sensitive information that is transmitted over the Internet.
- We control access to your information inside our company by limiting employee access to systems and data based on business requirements.
- We build Information Security into our systems and networks by following our Information Security Policy and Standards. These documents are based on internationally respected security standards, applicable laws and regulations, and industry-based 'best practices'.
- We provide Information Security awareness courses and materials to our employees, to educate and motivate them in applying our Information Security Policy and Standards to their job every day.
- Our employees are responsible for upholding our Information Security policy and standards.
Your contribution is important to protect the security of your access to our services. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the password and for restricting access to your computer, and you agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur on your account or with your password. In the event that the confidentiality of your account or password is compromised in any manner, you will notify EFS immediately. EFS reserves the right to take any and all action, as it deems necessary or reasonable, to ensure the security of the Site and your account, You can help prevent unauthorized access by following these security tips:
- Protect your user ID (user name) or password, by keeping it unique and known only to you. These are keys for accessing your information on our system. Please protect them.
- Choose a password that is at least 6 characters, a combination of letters and numbers, and difficult to guess. Avoid using an easily guessed password such as a word found in the dictionary, your name, your significant other's name, your pet's name, or your birthday.
- Avoid writing your password in a place where others can view it.
- Use the "LOGOUT" button to log out from EFS's website upon completion of your transactions on the Web site and close your browser software. Upon log out, you will receive a message confirming that you have successfully logged out. Failure to log out could endanger the security of your personal information by potentially allowing others using the same computer to access information saved or cached in the memory of the browser. In the event that you believe that an unauthorized person has accessed your account, we require you to inform us as soon as possible. Please contact us at 1-888-228-4500.
Notwithstanding the above, EFS may rely on the authority of anyone accessing your account or using your password and in no event will EFS be held liable to you for any liabilities or damages resulting from or arising out of
i. any action or inaction of EFS under this provision,
ii. any compromise of the confidentiality of your account or password, and
iii. any unauthorized access to your account or use of your password.
The activities described herein are subject to change without notice, but we intend to update this Security Statement and include new tips when it is appropriate and helpful to you.